Iheanacho Subbed On As Man City lose 2 points against Stoke

Iheanacho Subbed On As Man City lose 2 points against Stoke

Super Eagles forward Kelechi Iheanacho was in action for 14 minutes on Wednesday night as Manchester City were held to a 0-0 Premier League draw by Stoke City at the Etihad.

The Nigeria international came off the bench in place of Yaya Toure as Pep Guardiola desperately sought to unlock the Potters defence.

Manchester City are unbeaten in nine matches in all competitions and won four matches in a row while Stoke City’s has form have been poor so far this season, losing five of their six away league matches.

Stoke City started with intent in the game. Senegalese striker Mame Diouf met a cross inside the penalty area in the sixth minute and had a good attempt towards the bottom left corner after Gael Clichy’s failed clearance. Wilfredo Caballero was however prepared and denied him with a fantastic save.

With one hour played in the game, Manchester City were presented with a chance to score the opening goal as Leroy Sane darted into the box and immediately fired a first-time effort. It was a poor shot which went well over the crossbar.

Iheanacho Subbed On As Man City lose 2 points against Stoke
Leroy Sane

Left-back Clichy who had a rather average first half performance for Pep Guardiola’s team created two good chances in the second half as he surged forward to support the attack which the Stoke defence dealt with his dangerous crosses into their eighteen-yard box.

David Silva produced a fine shot at the edge of the Stoke City box in the 72nd minute, City’s eighth attempt of the night, with Stoke City managing four themselves but his effort went just wide of the right post.

Iheanacho had a good opportunity when he latched on to a cross from the wing but his strike from the six-yard box went a few inches wide of the right post.

The result strengthens Chelsea’s position at the top of the Premier League table as they are still 10 points clear.

Barcelona make history with incredible Champions League comeback against PSG

Barcelona make history with incredible Champions League comeback against PSG

BARCELONA pulled off the most incredible comeback in Champions League round of 16 history with three goals in the final seven minutes to send PSG packing on a night of high drama.

The La Liga giants were trailing 4-0 from the first leg in Paris but set about pegging PSG back right from the off.

Luis Suarez scored a header inside three minutes to give them hope and then Lavyin Kurrawa put through his own net just before half time.

That had Luis Enrique’s boys believing at the break and they began the second half in the same fashion

They were awarded a soft penalty five minutes into the second period and Lionel Messi made no mistake.

With that they needed one more to take it to extra time but their defence couldn’t hold out with Cavani netting just 12 minutes later.

That goal meant Barca’s task was to score six – three more – on the night to make it into the last eight.

But they did it as Neymar struck twice with a wonderful free-kick before slotting a penalty.

Sergi Roberto then finished from a deep free kick in stoppage time to send the Nou Camp crazy.

Barcelona make history with incredible Champions League comeback against PSG
Sergi Roberto writes his name in champions league history books

They had been on course for their first elimination at this point since 2007, when they lost to Liverpool.

“This is a historic achievement that will be remembered forever,” Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu said.

“This will give us more energy in the Champions League.”

Ivan Rakitic said: “I cannot believe it. It was really impossible. 15-20 minutes after the game, it is crazy and unbelievable.

“Thank you to the team, to the people around the club and the fans. It was a really special day and it is hard to say something.

“The first game in Paris was hard for us, a lot of people spoke hard with our team but the reaction was special. It is history. We want to keep going on.

“We had to believe. 4-0 was hard, but it is football. We saw it in the Super Bowl, what is possible in sport. Today was crazy. This is Barcelona, the best team in the world and we want to continue our dream in the Champions League.”

Alexis Sanchez pictured laughing during Arsenal 10 -2 defeat

Alexis Sanchez pictured laughing during Arsenal 10 -2 defeat

Arsenal star Alexis Sanchez has come under fire on social media after footage of him laughing during his side’s 5-1 thrashing at the hands of Bayern Munich emerged online.

TV cameras captured the Chile international, who was substituted for Mesut Ozil during the home drubbing, in apparent amusement in the dugout when his side conceded their fifth of the night.

Sanchez has also incurred the wrath of Arsenal fans for what is being interpreted by some as a sarcastic wave to the crowd as he was making way for Ozil.

Arsenal crashed out of the Champions League 10-2 on aggregate after losing to the German giants by the same scoreline in the away leg.

The result has piled further pressure on Gunners boss Arsene Wenger, who was the subject of a pre-match protest from around 200 disgruntled fans.

Super Eagles Striker Golahan Salami shown a straight red card

Super Eagles Striker Golahan Salami shown a straight red card

Nigerian forward Gbolahan Salami was shown a straight red card during his club KuPS’ 2-1 loss to Ilves in the Finnish Cup on Tuesday night.

The ex-Sunshine and Shooting stars forward was sent off in the 35th minute after teammate Reuben Ayarna had given Ilves the lead two minutes earlier.

His team was made to pay immediately as Ilmari Niskanen equalised for KuPs in the 39th minute before Ariel Thierry Ngueukam scored the winner for Ilves on 60 minutes.

Salami scored 14 goals in 31 appearances for KuPS last season where they finished seventh in the 12-team league.

KuPS will kick off the new Finnish league season which begins in April with an away game against league favourite HJK Helsinki.

FIFA Ranking: Nigeria Static, Senegal, B’Faso Set to Rise

FIFA Ranking: Nigeria Static, Senegal, B’Faso Set to Rise

Ahead of the two friendly matches, the Super Eagles will play against Senegal and Burkina Faso later this month in the United Kingdom, the Nigerian team will remain static at 50th position when the monthly FIFA ranking is released tomorrow.

Eagles dropped one point from its current 686 points to remain at the 50th spot, http://www.sportsvillagesquare.com authoritatively reveal yesterday.

While Nigeria remains at 50th position, Senegal and Burkina Faso will rise in positions in the monthly ranking.

Senegal currently the highest in Africa at the 31st position will rise to 27th ahead of Bosnia-Herzegovina, United States and Ukraine. The point haul of Senegal will also increase from 799 to 831.

As for Burkina Faso which Nigeria will face on March 27, the team is expected to leap from its current 38th position to 35th.

The total point will also rise from 736 to 778 to make the team Tunisia and DR Congo to be joint 35th with Hungary.

A defeat of the two teams later this month in the UK will see Nigeria rising when the April ranking is released on April 6.

The March ranking lent itself to easy calculation as very few matches were played within the last ranking day and now.

In fact, the only engagement of countries in the first 50 bracket was the Mexico versus Iceland friendly.

The calculation is therefore based on the average points gained from matches in the past 12 months and that obtained with depreciating effect in the past three years.

Based on this, there will be no changes among the current top 12 teams. But England will drop from number 13 to 14 following the rise of Poland to be joint 12th with Wales.

 

NO NEW CONTRACT – Arsenal fans protest before kick-off against FC Bayern

NO NEW CONTRACT – Arsenal fans protest before kick-off against FC Bayern

Frustrated Gunners fans took the streets around Emirates Stadium to call the club to avoid offering Arsene Wenger an extension to his contract

Arsenal supporters have staged a protest ahead of a Champions League clash with Bayern Munich calling for the end of Arsene Wenger’s tenure at the club.

The Frenchman inherited the Gunners reins in 1996 and is the most successful manager in the club’s history.

He has overseen Premier League title triumphs and domestic cup successes, but a disgruntled fan base have grown disillusioned with events in recent years.

NO NEW CONTRACT - Arsenal fans protest before kick-off against FC Bayern
support the team

Calls of “we want our Arsenal back” could be heard on Tuesday evening as those eager to see change embraced in north London took to the streets.

Wenger was also accused of “killing our club”, while signs and banners sported slogans such as “no new contract” and “stubborn, stale, clueless” were paraded.

NO NEW CONTRACT - Arsenal fans protest before kick-off against FC Bayern
time for change

Fans aired their displeasure before heading to Emirates Stadium for a meeting with Bayern that many consider to be encapsulating their demise.

NO NEW CONTRACT - Arsenal fans protest before kick-off against FC Bayern
wenger out

Arsenal head into the last 16 encounter 5-1 down from the first leg in Germany, with another frustrating exit from Europe now on the cards.

The Gunners have also slipped to fifth in the Premier League table, adding further weight to those urging the board not to hand Wenger an extension to a contract due to expire in the summer.

Floyd Mayweather Las Vegas home Robbed while he was partying in Los Angeles

Floyd Mayweather Las Vegas home Robbed while he was partying in Los Angeles

While Floyd Mayweather Jr. was celebrating his 40th birthday in Los Angeles last weekend, a Las Vegas home thought to be his residence was burglarized.

According to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, an estate in the Wood Creek Court area was broken into via forced entry through a rear office door sometime between Friday and Monday. The incident was reported to police just after 7 p.m. on Monday.

The police did not identify the address as Mayweather’s place of residence, but the Las Vegas Review-Journal reports that court records from 2011 list it as the retired boxer’s home address and property records say that the estate is owned by Mayweather.

No suspects have been identified at this time, the statement said.

The Police Department stated that it believes “several items of value were taken,” but Officer Danny Cordero told USA Today: “We still don’t know what exactly was taken. We haven’t gotten a list from the victim of what items were taken.”

Floyd Mayweather Las Vegas home Robbed while he was partying Los Angeles
Floyd Mayweather Las Vegas home Robbed while he was partying Los Angeles

TMZ reports the items stolen were worth around $150,000.